Pragmatic technical leadership
Clive Gratton has worked in the video game industry since 1993. As a Technical Director at Creative Assembly he has been responsible for the transition of their console engine technologies from PS1 through to Xbox Scorpio and High end PC. These in house engines have powered a diverse range of projects from the mid 1990’s FIFA football, through to the multi-award winning Alien: Isolation and most recently, Halo Wars 2. Enjoys playing many musical instruments badly.
A transformative approach to game engine development or how to tend your software garden.
- Content want to start prototyping now.
- Production want no wasted work.
- The game design requires a large number of new features.
- The code team want to set light to the codebase and burn it to the ground.
- The shipping deadline can’t move.
- Managing these often competing goals is difficult.
Alien: Isolation was initially prototyped using the tech from Viking: Battle for Asgard, an open world 3rd person melee combat game.
In this talk I’ll chart the course taken for the engine transformation.