Let's make a video game... unplugged!
With almost 20 years of experience in the game industry – more than a decade as Editor-in-Chief of leading Polish gaming media outlets and four years as a designer/producer at Techland – Smektała is still humbled by the creativity, inventiveness and “sky’s the limit” mentality of the Polish game development scene. Loves games, awesome music, sunny weather and great company, and is sure to find all of these things at Digital Dragons. Credits include a producer role in Dying Light and lead design role in Dying Light: The Following. Currently works as a Lead Designer at Techland.
Can you play GTA with the use of dice and is Diablo suitable for a family board game? Learn how to create “paper” versions of popular video games!
Thanks to this workshop, you will learn to:
- Differentiate and describe the most important computer game components behind the DNA of that brand, i.e.:
- USP (Unique Selling Point)
- Core Gameplay mechanics,
- Gameplay loop,
- Define the essence of the experience standing behind a given game, i.e. define:
- Video game Mechanics, Dynamics, Aesthetics,
- Player motivation,
- Emotions that a given game triggers in them,
- Behaviors that it evokes in players (and how to entice players to perform them)
- And finally, you’ll just have fun, practicing creativity and the ability to work in a team of enthusiasts like yourself. The result of the workshop will be a ready unplugged game, that all the participants can play.
REQUIREMENTS RELATING TO WORKSHOP PARTICIPANTS
The lecture and workshops are intended for all those interested in the video game designer’s work, both for novices, who are just thinking about joining the video game industry, as well as to more experienced designers, who want to expand their workshop and prove themselves in unusual tasks.
We only require a positive attitude, creativity and willingness to cooperate with other workshop participants.